Columns Restoration Project
Our beloved Sanctuary was dedicated in 1834, The staved Tuscan columns (similar to the construction of a wooden barrel) have weathered the last 184 years (including the 1938 hurricane), but they have suffered some deterioration and undergone several phases of repair over the years. Thanks to the many donations from members of our congregation and beyond, the columns have been repaired and restored to their original form to ensure that the surviving original materials will endure the next 184 years.
The Column Restoration Committee collaborated with the CT Trust for Historic Preservation and the CT State Historic Preservation Office, first receiving a matching grant from the Trust, completed in 2015, to study the condition of the columns and to make recommendations for their repair. In 2017, the EWCC received a matching grant from the CT Historic Preservation Office Historic Restoration Fund to complete the necessary repairs and restoration of the columns. Through generous donations, memorial gifts, our East Woodstock Cornet Band concert and allocation of funds from our Capital Campaign we have successfully reached our goal and received matching funds needed to complete the project.
Column Restoration Committee: Glen Lessig, Judith Wong, Dawn Adiletta, Rick Place & DeEtta Spalding